Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Some of my favorite places...

To some, cemeteries may be creepy but not to me. I view a cemetery as a novel that leaves my imagination wondering about the ending...

DSC_0133 (3)

After indulging myself at the 7-mile yard sale from Grand Coteau to Arnaudville last weekend, I decided that I would travel back to historic Grand Coteau and take a late afternoon walk through the old St. Charles Cemetery.

DSC_0108 (2)

With the leaves crackling under my feet and the sounds of the church bells ringing in the air, I strolled along for the first time through this historic cemetery...

DSC_0121

There was so much beauty under those majestic moss covered oaks, I could have stayed here for hours...and I did.

DSC_0122 (2)

I loved seeing the almost forgotten seemingly lost grave sites between the newer bold granite ones.  Strategically placed so that someone like me would notice them  and acknowledge their once known existence marked by faded flowers and a rusty old cross.

DSC_0116 (3)

But surrounded by angels...

                DSC_0131 (2)

the possibly forgotten have no fear...

DSC_0123 (2)

because of the sheer fact that new generations will also come to see their beloved, stumble across them and the cycle never ends.

DSC_0113 (2)

As I stood above this lovely white marble granite and read these words, I made a wish that one day I would be remembered with as much love when I am gone.

This one below really caught my eye. The ornate shape of the headstone that leaned backwards, almost touching the ground struck my curiosity. As I walked closer, this is what I saw...

DSC_0130

Mary Ann Smith born on my birthday, October 1 but in 1833. Mary Clemence Smith (possibly her sister) born July ?, 1839. I can't help but wonder if  she made it to her 6th birthday as they both died on July 12, 1845. How could two precious girls loose their lives at such a young age?

The novel continues...

DSC_0106 (2)

leaves are falling around me and yet, the church bells ring again.

DSC_0125 (2)

It's getting late and the sun is starting to set.

DSC_0126

They will soon lock the old wrought iron gates behind me as I leave.

DSC_0109 (2)

I took one last look as I left this beautiful peaceful place and I was comforted knowing there is peace on the other side for those who believe...

DSC_0135 (2)

Note: I was working on this post since I got back from Grand Coteau hoping to publish it today. This morning before work, I went to one of my favorite blogs The Victorian Parlor and little did I know that she would also be posting about her beloved town cemetery~I guess great minds think alike!

7 comments:

Geralyn Gray said...

I loved the angels the most and the wrought iron cross---I have never seen anything like that--but why not? I have to go check out the other cemetary now-----your pictures are beautiful---loved the tree tunnel in the first picture.

The Victorian Parlor said...

You're the best! I love the fact that we were both walking through cemeteries enjoying the peacefulness and photographing the beauty for our blogs:) Your cemetery is gorgeous-love those moss draped trees! The pictures are beautiful too! And that iron cross-wow it's wonderful!

lorhen82 said...

I found your blog through The Victorian Parlor, and you have some great photos! Wouldn't it be great if we could all go cemetery hopping together??? They're so beautiful and peaceful, and I really love the history that's held within them. ~Lori

trash talk said...

This was just a beautiful post. Isn't it sad that the new cemetaries owners are more worried about mowing easily than in honoring those resting there? You're right, it is like walking through a history book! Debbie

Pam @ Frippery said...

That spanish moss is so lovely. The photos are stunning Jodie. I love old cemeteries too. We have one nearby that has graves of Revolutionary War soldiers. Thanks for sharing this. I am heading to check out the Victorian Parlor post now. Hugs, Pam P.S. I like Lorhen82's idea. Maybe we should do a Cemetery hop party in October with the leaves falling etc. We could link all the posts!

Sandi said...

Isn't it unusual and yet so believable that we all love old cemeteries?? Your writing is beautiful. I'm so lucky to get to visit all these places through your photos.
VictorianGypsy

June said...

I love this post. I loved the one Victorian Parlor did also. Old cemeteries so beautiful. Your pictures are so awesome. I could easily hang out here. I love your blog!